Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine Flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I don't have Swine Flu, and I don't think that I was in any danger, but it was a little eerie being in the country the State Department was telling people not to visit. There were some strange scenes of people walking the streets in masks, and stocking up on food at the store. Max and Sarah had a semi-stresful bus ride across the border, not really knowing the extent of the virus. And now that I've returned to the states I feel like I still don't really know what's happening, or more specifically, how much I should worry. I've been washing my hands in rubbing alcohol when I have any contact with anyone who deals with the public, toll booth attendants etc. Overkill? Probably. San Carlos is probably just as removed from Mexico City as a lot of places but who knows when someone will drive through town who has just come from Ciudad de Mexico and who knows?? And even if you get the virus how much worry is there? Maybe scientists don't even know why the mortality was so high in Mexico and seems to be much less in the states. Its confusing to try to figure out if this flu is really much more than a normal flu.

No comments: